The Purchasing Department strives to serve and support the educational mission of the Howard County Board of Education. Purchasing’s mission is to facilitate best practices and achieve economies of scale in the acquisition of goods and services necessary for the effective and efficient operation of the school system. Its primary goal is to ensure that each acquisition represents the best value, quality, and timely delivery while maintaining compliance with state and local laws, regulations, and HCPSS policies. Minority participation is highly encouraged in all solicitations and the Purchasing department is committed to equal procurement opportunities through fair and open competition to the fullest practicable extent and to maintaining the highest level of professionalism, ethics and integrity.
- Provide purchasing support to school system programs
- Publish catalogues listing descriptions, prices, and vendors so schools and offices may make requisition requests effectively and efficiently
- Ensure construction contracts comply with school facilities policy
- Publish an annual bid schedule
- Ensure an open, equitable and competitive bidding process which involves the active solicitation of minority businesses.
CeCe Clement, CPPO, CPPB
Robert Gill, CPPO, CPPB
Policy and Regulations
The Howard County Public School System operates in compliance with the Public School Laws of Maryland, COMAR § 5-112, and in accordance with regulations developed by the Superintendent, Policy 4050, to ensure that the funds provided to the Board of Education for materials, supplies, equipment, and services are expended and handled most effectively and prudently.
The Board requires competitive bidding except when it is not practical to obtain competitive bids or when the need for certain supplies, equipment, materials, or service is of an emergency nature, then those purchases may be made without competitive bidding with the approval of the Board as appropriate.